23 April 2017, Urbiz Garden Plage, Urbiztondo, La Union. La Union Soul, in collaboration with the La Union Conventions & Visitors Bureau (LUCVB) – a nonstock, non-government organisation under North Philippines Visitors Bureau – and North Luzon Express Way (NLEX), organized “Earth Day: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle 101” on April 22nd, Earth Day, by and for the La Union community.
The program began with two Beach Cleanups starting at 6 a.m. at Dalumpinas Oeste (San Juan, LU) and Acapulco (San Fernando, LU), followed by the Earth Day Festival at Urbiz Garden, San Juan at 9 a.m.
The Festival was well attended by a cross section of La Union’s socially supportive community, including local residents, students from various public elementary schools, colleges and universities; tourism operators and other businesses; and the local surf community. The film viewing of “Before the Flood” preceded a number of engaging talks and performances by various civic & community leaders:
- Effects of Plastics on Marine Life (by Celso Jucutan of LINK);
- Plastics vs Wildlife (by Patrick of CURMA);
- Demonstration of Upcycling (by Miku Maus, Crafty Bites);
- Eco-Bricks (by Raf Dionisio, The Plastics Solution)
- Musical Performances (by Bo Bismarck, Boys Over North, and SIFCare Girls Choir); and
- Mindfulness Talk (by Lalah de Dios, Aquanimous Yoga & Boutique).
The “Ridge to Reef” Market was open throughout the day, showcasing locally produced crafts from Promdisea (retail surfing clothes line), La Union Surf Club (LUSC) leaders Rhea Delos Santos Ventura and Cristina Suyat of Local Wahini, and Ponciana Jucar (a.k.a. “Black Mamba”) selling locally made food delicacies, She Sells By The Sea Shore and a #PlungeForLaUnion booth by FEED.
Click here for the full program: Earth Day Program 2017.
About La Union Soul
“Nature is our Equaliser”. La Union Soul is a community building eco-tourism movement effort for La Union Province’s Sustainability – involving various private, public and NGO organisations keen to ensure the preservation of marine life and livelihoods in the “surfing capital of the North” with the aim to protect the local economy, its local stakeholders and our reliance on clean, safe and secure waters for all living creatures. Our goal is simple: to keep our La Union coastline alive.
For More Information
- La Union Soul Website: https://www.launionsoul.com
- La Union Soul Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LaUnionSoul
- Contact Form: https://www.launionsoul.com/contact/
- Address: La Union Soul, Brgy. Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union, Philippines 2514
© FEED, Inc.